Hey everyone, welcome to my blog. Here I will give race reports and updates on training. I will try to keep it as up to date as possible. You can also follow me on twitter @bauer_andrew for more frequent updates. Enjoy!

Thursday, February 21, 2013

Andrew Who?

For those of you still wondering, the answer is YES, I am still a triathlete.  I do plan on racing again.  In fact, after a long bout with various Achilles issues I’m pulling all my race stuff out of the closet for next weekend’s jump (or dive) off the boat.  I am finally able to race again and have been looking forward to Escape from Alcatraz for a while now.  I am very excited to rekindle those competitive feelings I've missed for over 1.5 years.


So you haven’t been training?  What have you been doing?  Oh I've been training.  Since running was out of the question and cycling was uncomfortable for a while as I was healing, I turned into a fish.  I've been spending a lot of time with the Walnut Creek Masters.  It is a blast to swim every day and begin to see improvement.  I’m very much looking forward to seeing all the hard work in the pool pay off this season.  Of course, without running and cycling in my life for a good amount of the year, I've had time for a host of other things.




Year 2012 brought great traveling and great times.  Best of all I got engaged to my wonderful fiancé Rebecca!  Rebecca and I took a vacation to Hawaii and swam with the turtles, took numerous trips to Yosemite and went home to Michigan for the holidays.  What didn't I do?  I didn't shave my legs for 12 months and it was glorious!

Looking forward to Escape from Alcatraz on Sunday March 3rd, I’m hoping for a good day.  Training has been going as well as it can be on the road back to race shape.  I've still got a long way to go.  It’s a long season, but I’m excited to let loose at Escape and see what happens.

Of course, with Escape being one of the most sought after races in the country, there tends to be a variety of activities in the few days leading up to the plunge.  I’m very excited and honored to say that I will be part of a really cool event Friday night, March 1st at Sports Basement Presidio (where I work).  Sports Basement is hosting 5-time Escape from Alcatraz champ Andy Potts, 2-time Wildflower Long Course champ Jesse Thomas, and some schmuck who is just fast enough to call himself elite….me;  Two Michigan grads vs. a Stanford grad.  Sorry Jesse, you’re the odd man out.  Andy and Jesse will answer questions about their experiences, advice for the course and how they are so fast.  I will try to bring a little local experience to the table as well.  At the end, we will be available to sign autographs and chat.  Sports Basement has even made me these awesome little posters of myself for me to sign…that is if anyone is interested in my autograph!  Here is the info:

Race Orientation Meeting w/ Special Guests
Sports Basement Presidio
Friday March 1, 6:00-8:30pm

I hope to see you all there!  If not, good luck to all of you racing!
Check back here after race day for a recap.  Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment